Scarborough Armed Forces Day
This Saturday 29th June is the fifth annual Scarborough Armed Forces Day celebration that could attract more than 20,000 people toScarborough South Bay seafront.
This year Scarborough Armed Forces Day has some very special guests flying in...the RAF's very own aeronautical acrobats, the world-famous Red Arrows!!
Crowds at Scarborough Armed Forces Day will also be treated to extraordinary displays from an RAF Typhoon- a multi-role combat aircraft capable of flying twice as fast as the speed of sound, as well as the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, comprising of a Spitfire, Hurricane AND the much-loved Lancaster Bomber!!
Other highlights of Scarborough Armed Forces Day will include:
- An air display by the Red Arrows
- An air display by a Typhoon fast jet
- A flypast by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight –Spitfire, Lancaster and Hurricane
- A flypast by a RAF Sea King helicopter
- Ravens parachute display team
- Beach Boot camp challenge
- A formal opening and welcoming address by the Mayor
- Veterans Badge Presentations with citations
- Band of the Yorkshire Volunteers marching and static performances
- Tri-service recruitment, welfare associations exhibiters
- Static military vehicle exhibition
- Royal British Legion Riders Club static display
- A marching parade including the band, Standards, Veterans and Cadets
- Review of the paradePresentation of AFD flag to WW2 Veteran with citation
- Service of Thanksgiving led by Revd Martyn Dunning, Vicar of Scarborough.
- One Minute Silence followed by bugler
Two flight simulators - the Royal Air Force Associations Wings Appeal simulator and the Help For Heroes Experience simulator will provide the public with the opportunity to experience a pilot's eye view of flight and appreciate the skills and experience required to be a RAF pilot.
Look out for the Help For Heroes Bear – Hero - who will be making an appearance this year and have your photo taken with him!
The Yorkshire Regiment who has the Freedom of the Borough, will be represented by the 4th Battalion this year who will have a presence on the seafront and West Pier with paintballing, display tents and vehicles.
Members of the Ravens Parachute Display Team, who are all serving paratroopers, will use military precision to land on the beach after leaping from an aircraft at 10,000ft – weather permitting. They will fly an Armed Forces Day flag on their descent and will be setting off coloured smoke flares strapped to their ankles.
One of the parachutists, Sgt Dave Walker, has completed almost 5,000 skydives and is looking forward to wowing the crowds with the Ravens’ daredevil antics. He said: “It always feels very special to be taking part in events like this and as long as the weather is in our favour, it will be great to touch down on familiar territory. We’ve always had incredible support from Scarborough on Armed Forces Day.”
The afternoon’s programme will get underway at noon with a welcome by the Mayor of Scarborough and the presentation of badges to veterans.
Cllr Tom Fox, leader of Scarborough Council and chairman of Scarborough’s Armed Forces Day steering group, said: “It’s very exciting to see the final schedule for the day come together and to know that as well as honouring the outstanding contribution our Armed Forces make to this country, we will be treated to some amazing spectacles both in the air and on the ground.
“Of course for many spectators the Red Arrows will be the highlight of the day, but there are so many other displays and activities that really have the wow factor and we hope that their widespread appeal will help make 2013 the most successful Armed Forces Day ever for Scarborough.”